Foster's Nolan Ryan and Ormsby's Well Drilling's Jeff Norton contest the ball during Saturday's championship game in the North Country Men's Soccer League at the Base Oval. Ormsby's got a late goal from Clint McCool for a 3-2 victory.

Clint McCool's second goal of the game, with 5:44 left in regulation Saturday night, lifted Ormsby's Well Drilling to a 3-2 victory over Foster's in the North Country Men's Soccer League championship game.

McCool scored on a header off a John Dickinson corner kick to provide the margin of difference between top-seeded Ormsby's and second-seeded Foster's.

It wasn't a vintage performance from Ormsby's, which scored twice in the second half to erase a 2-1 deficit.

"It wasn't pretty," said defender Matt Ormsby. "We didn't play our game — we didn't possess the ball like we usual do. And, they were playing a man down in the second half.

"But, we found a way to win and that's all that matters."

Foster's held a 2-1 lead at the half and it stayed that way until the 15:00 mark of the second stanza. Ormsby's had a player pulled down in the box after Justin Gardner sent a lofting shot into the area. Ryan Ormsby made good on the penalty kick to tie the contest.

Foster's then suffered a blow to its chances when defender Jacob Spiegel suffered an injury and had to leave the game. Foster's did not have any subs available and was forced to play the rest of the contest down a man.

Ormsby's nearly took the lead later on when Jared Jarvis hooked a shot off the post.

Ormsby's, however, continued to apply the pressure and would finally get the game-winner.

Foster's, made up of mostly former Chazy and Beekmantown players, came out strong and it took some point-blank saves from Ormsby's keeper Jesse Mack to keep Foster's off the board.

But, with 16 minutes gone in the opening half, Foster's opened the scoring when Nolan Ryan headed in Ryan McKinstry's corner kick.

Ormsby's then drew even at the 25:00 mark when McCool tallied his first goal of the game with a long shot from straight on 20 yards out.

Ormsby's came close to taking the lead later on when Cory Trombley's header deflected off the crossbar.

Then, with five minutes to go in the half, Spiegel sent in a long direct kick that found the back of the net to give Foster's a 2-1 advantage.

Both goaltenders — Ormsby's Mack and Foster's Jacob Beeman — faced several good scoring chances and played well.

Recommended for you