Lowe's Home Improvement Center was evacuated Thursday evening as emergency crews investigated a possible Freon leak inside the store.

Employees at the Plattsburgh building-supply store called for District 3 firefighters at about 7 p.m. after staff and customers noticed a light haze in the building.

Everyone inside the store was evacuated as crews inspected the air-conditioning system for a possible leak of the trademark chemical compound, which has potential to cause immediate dizziness and irregular heartbeat.

No injuries were immediately reported during the evacuation but a CVPH EMS ambulance later returned to the store for a pregnant woman who complained of dizziness.

She was taken to CVPH Medical Center for precautionary evaluation.

Volunteers remained at the store as of 8 p.m., and no additional information was immediately available.

— By Staff Writer Andrea VanValkenburg

Recommended for you