Trial of Gustavo Segundo-Clark continues

Gustavo Segundo-Clark

PLATTSBURGH — The prosecution explored how investigators secured evidence and interviewed Gustavo Segundo-Clark in witness testimony Monday.

The team of Clinton County District Attorney Andrew Wylie and Assistant District Attorney Jeffrey Stitt interviewed six witnesses, starting the morning with Senior Investigator Brendan Frost of State Police Troop B’s Forensic Identification Unit.


Frost was one of the investigators who processed the crime scene at 111 Rooney Rd. in Beekmantown on Nov. 22, 2018, where Segundo-Clark allegedly killed his grandmother, Ginger Clark.

Frost was responsible for photographing all of the rooms and any points of interest in the house to start.

In the kitchen, he first photographed the body of Clark wrapped in a rug, surrounded by blood on the floor, as well as the stove area.

Near the stove, he found an unopened bottle of beer, as well as some steak and other food on plates. Inside the fridge, he said, he found five other beers of the same brand.

This comes after previous witness testimony and surveillance footage explored during the trial last week established that Segundo Clark had purchased a six-pack of beer during the afternoon of Nov. 20.


Frost testified that he also found blood spattered across the front of the oven, as well as a pair of gloves on the kitchen table.

Frost said that on the second floor he processed the east and west bedrooms, as well as the bathroom, where he found bloodstains on the floor.

He testified that in the west bedroom, he found a pair of blue jeans, as well as a gray sweatshirt with bloodstains on each sleeve.

After the rug wrapped around Clark’s body was unwrapped and photographs of the body were taken, the body was removed from the residence.

Upon lifting the rug up to be photographed, Frost said, a black-handled knife that was “stuck” to the underside of the rug fell onto the floor.

A photograph of the knife was displayed to the courtroom. It appeared to be a normal steak knife, but had a reddish stain on the blade, near the handle.


Frost said that he later checked the knife for any fingerprints, but that none were found.

In the Rooney Road residence, Frost also swabbed the living room floor, the kitchen and laundry room light switches and the bathroom floor to be tested.

Frost was also responsible for processing Clark’s 2010 Subaru Forester once it was brought to the State Police barracks in Ray Brook.

The car had allegedly been stolen by Segundo-Clark and driven to where he was apprehended in central New York.

In the vehicle, Frost found bloodstains on the base of the driver’s seat, as well as a wallet and purse on the backseat and miscellaneous trash from McDonald’s and Burger King.

The receipt from McDonald’s read from a location in Schenectedy, while the Burger King receipt was from a location in Albany. Both were from Nov. 21, and both were purchased with a Mastercard ending in the digits “3696”, the same four digits at the end of Clark’s Citizen’s Bank card.


Also interviewed in the morning was Investigator Karen Granger, of Troop D’s forensics unit.

Granger was the investigator assigned to the North Syracuse State Police barracks to execute a search warrant on Nov. 22, the day Segundo-Clark was pulled over by police in the Town of Mentz in Cayuga County.

Granger photographed Segundo-Clark at the barracks in the clothes that he was apprehended in from all angles, as well as when he was just in boxer shorts.

She stated that she found nothing unusual other than some scratches on the tops of his hands.


The afternoon’s witness testimony focused on interviews with Segundo-Clark that investigators partook in Nov. 22.

Senior Investigator Todd Grant was responding to a report that a trooper on the thruway, Trooper Tonya Kubinsky, was following a car that matched the description and license plate number of a car that Troop B had told dispatch to be on the lookout for: Clark’s Subaru Forester.

By the time Grant and the zone sergeant that was driving his vehicle had caught up with the car, he said that five to seven troop cars were already following the vehicle. At that time, they put their emergency lights on, and proceeded with what Grant described as a normal traffic stop.

After Grant spoke with Segundo-Clark for a short time, he asked if Segundo-Clark would speak with him in one of the State Police vehicles, which he consented to.

After reading Segundo-Clark his Miranda rights, Grant began with simple questions like who he was and where he was going.

He gave his name and said that he was going to his mother’s in Utica for Thanksgiving.


They had already been given information from Troop B that something had happened with a Ginger Clark, and that her grandson, Segundo-Clark, was believed to be driving her car.

But when Grant asked him if he knew a Ginger Clark, Segundo-Clark said he did not.

After some more questions, Grant eventually asked if Segundo-Clark would mind going to the North Syracuse barracks, and Segundo-Clark agreed to go.


Segundo-Clark was interviewed intermittently in a recorded interview room between the hours of approximately 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. that day, Grant said, starting with conversations with Grant.

Grant’s questions started with questions about Clark, who Segundo-Clark again adamantly denied knowing.

Grant said that by that time he had also gotten more information from Troop B investigators, including locations like 111 Rooney Rd., West Chazy and Beekmantown. Segundo-Clark denied knowing anything about those as well.

Eventually, Grant asked what Segundo-Clark was touching in his pocket. He first made up a lie before saying it was his wallet, Grant said.

Grant asked if he could see the wallet and found Segundo-Clark’s driver’s license inside. His home address read 111 Rooney Rd.


In a video recording of the interview, Segundo-Clark said that the address was a house his cousin was renting when he got his license in Plattsburgh.

Grant eventually circled back around to Ginger, who he still denied knowing.

Until Grant said that he’d call Segundo-Clark’s mother about Clark.

Then he said that he knew she was related to a Randy Relation.

When Grant asked if he was dropped off by a taxi at 111 Rooney Rd. on Nov. 20, Segundo-Clark denied it.


The interviews were then taken over by Investigators Joseph Krywalski and Jeffrey Duck. Duck had briefly spoke with Segundo-Clark when he was first pulled over.

After they took over, they continued a line of questioning about a Ginger Clark, at which point Segundo-Clark resumed stating that he did not know her at first, before then switching to saying she was his grandma.

In the recording of the interview he continued to flip flop on whether he knew her or not, before finally saying that the last time he was at 111 Rooney Rd. a few days before, he had walked in the front door and seen her on the floor dead.

When Duck and Krywalski pressed on this fact, they eventually got Segundo-Clark to admit that he and Clark had gotten into an altercation, but Segundo-Clark only said that he scratched her neck with his fingernails.


Segundo-Clark then said that after he scratched her, she fell down to the floor and wrapped herself up in the carpet that she was found in.

“I flipped her over and she looked like she had passed out,” Segundo-Clark said in the recording. “I got in a car and I drove away, I was so nervous.”

Segundo-Clark’s trial will continue in the Clinton County Courthouse at 9:15 a.m. today.

Email Ben Watson: