A power loss from a dump-truck mishap pressed Franklin County Nursing Home into emergency mode Wednesday.

None of the Nursing Home residents were moved out into the misty rainfall Wednesday morning because generators restored power, but they were taken to designated safe areas within the facility, Malone Village Police Chief Steve Stone said.

"The power went out, but when it came back on, they could smell smoke. They couldn't tell if it was coming from the outside or the inside."

Malone Callfiremen were brought in at 9:59 a.m. After checking the building thoroughly, the Nursing Home was deemed safe, said Paul Langdon, the department's second-assistant chief.

A handful of family members who had come to the Finney Boulevard site to visit their relatives during the power loss were turned away at the door and told there were "hot spots" that were being checked.

No one was allowed into the building except emergency personnel.

The relatives mingled in the parking lot or waited in vehicles nearby as events unfolded.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers reported to the Nursing Home along with extra manpower from the Village Police.

At the same time, across town, National Grid officials were assessing the damage from the dump-truck accident to determine the next move.

Electricity was knocked out at 9:56 a.m. when the raised box on a town-owned dump truck tangled in overhead power lines at the eastern-most entrance to the property, tearing down a pole holding a transformer.

The company's website stated that fewer than five customers were without power in the Village of Malone and that service would be restored by 1:30 p.m. In the Town of Malone, fewer than five customers were also reportedly without power, and restoration for them was expected about 5 p.m.

The transformer crashed to the ground, sending shards of shattered glass onto Route 11 across from Ward Lumber near the entrance to Walmart and the Malone Town Offices at Malone Dufort Airport.

About a half-mile from the Town Garage, a maintenance worker at the Holiday Inn Express became trapped in the elevator there for a few minutes during the outage, said Barry Stickle, second-assistant chief for the Callfiremen.

He said the unidentified man was in the elevator car when the electricity cut out, but the box was level with the floor, not between stories.

"They had to pry the doors open to get him out," he said.

Franklin County Fire Police member Clifford Baker was first to arrive; he set out a series of orange safety cones that directed traffic around the hazard.

An ambulance from the Bangor Volunteer Fire Department was at the site with a Callfiremen ambulance as a precaution.

E-mail Denise A. Raymo at: draymo@pressrepublican.com

Trending Video

Recommended for you