KEESEVILLE — A house-fire displaced 5 residents here Monday.

The Keeseville Volunteer Fire Department responded to 823 Route 9 just after 5 p.m. to find heavy smoke coming from the home there, Fire Captain Scott Thompson said.

“A tanker task force was deployed and everything went smoothly,” Thompson said.

“It was pretty contained to the house and we had a quick knock down.”

The fire resulted in a “total loss on the inside” Thompson added.

The North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross responded to the address to help the three adults and two children, ages 4 and 6, who had lost their home, providing them with shelter, food, clothing and emotional support, according to a press release. 

Thompson said that the fire was apparently caused by an accidental cooking fire in the home.

Departments in Keeseville, AuSable Forks, Peru, Willsboro and South Plattsburgh all responded to the blaze with Morrisonville and District 3 standing by, according to Clinton County Dispatch.

Route 9 was closed near the address while responders fought the fire, Thompson said.

The property is owned by Erin L. Berrick, according to the Essex County Real Property Office. While the address falls in Essex County, it also falls in Clinton County’s Keeseville Fire District.

Email Ben Watson:

bwatson@pressrepublican.com 

Recommended for you