MORRISONVILLE — An early-morning fire destroyed a former bar Tuesday.
Morrisonville Fire Chief Kevin Randall said the former Fuzzy Ducks tavern at 42 River St. was fully ablaze when he arrived about a minute after the fire was called in at 3:57 a.m.
"About two-thirds of it was in flames about 30 to 35-feet high, and most of the roof had caved in," Randall said.
"Flames were coming out the front so it appeared that it had started somewhere in the back and worked its way to the front."
Randall said a Press-Republican driver out delivering newspapers called the fire in.
Firefighters from District Three, Cadyville, Peru and South Plattsburgh arrived to help the Morrisonville department.
Morrisonville Emergency Services was also there just in case.
The Dannemora and Saranac departments provided backup.
It took about an hour and a half to knock down the flames and control the fire, Randall said.
"It was burning pretty good, and it had a good head start on us so it took awhile to get it under control," Randall said.
The building, which had been closed since late July, was unoccupied, Randall said, and was being used for storage.
Randall said they were notified at the scene that there was no one in the building.
At least two carbon dioxide containers in the bar exploded during the fire, Randall said.
"There were two large empty propane tanks outside the building, but we were able to move those away," he said.
The building had housed a bar for decades. It used to be known as Jackie's Club and also Richard and Linda's Cocktails.
The establishment was known for hosting live music, and was home to many local fund-raisers over the years.
Randall said the cause of the fire had yet to be determined.
"We've had the county investigators in, and we are waiting for the state investigators," he said.
No one was injured battling the blaze.
Email Joe LoTemplio: