A pregnant woman and her 1-year-old son lost everything when a long-smoldering fire melted most of their possessions.

Lori Muller, 23, and her son, Xzayvier Tuper, were not home at 125 Trout River-Westville Road when the fire was discovered by a passer-by at 10:26 p.m. Sunday.

"Me and my son were gone, and a friend called on the cellphone to tell me the house was on fire," Muller said. "We lost everything. It was a total loss."

She said she had lived at the mobile home full time since August.

It is owned by Allen Miller.

Westville Fire Chief Jamie Gratton said there was little damage to be seen on the outside of the manufactured home, "but everything inside is pretty much melted. There was a lot of smoke and water damage."

Firefighters from Westville were joined by tanker crews from Fort Covington and Constable.

"The fire had pretty much burned itself out by the time we got there," Gratton said. "We only had to use about 200 gallons of water on it."

He said the fire had apparently smoldered for quite a while before it showed any flames.

The Franklin County Cause and Origin Team was there to determine the exact cause.

Gratton said the investigation report was not complete, but it looked like the fire got its start in the living room.

All of the home's appliances, furniture and beds were destroyed, as well as all types of towels, linens and dishes and baby items.

Muller, who is six-months pregnant with her second son, wears maternity clothes or large-size slacks and extra-large tops and size 8 women's shoes and boots.

Xzayvier wears size 2T and 3T tops and pants and size 8 child shoes and boots.

Muller had done some Christmas shopping, but had safely stored the gifts at her grandmother's house "because I'd want to give them too early.

"But I did lose everything I had bought for the new baby."

Email Denise A. Raymo at: draymo@pressrepublican.com

Recommended for you