Crews respond quickly to Champlain fire

John Chrètien/PHOTOFirefighters battle the blaze at 11167 Main St., Champlain, Thursday night. The fire broke out in a vacant house owned by Francis Tate Jr., who was restoring and remodeling the structure, according to Champlain Assistant Fire Chief Chris Trombley. 

CHAMPLAIN — Quick-acting firefighters were able to save a home from total devastation Thursday night.

Multiple fire departments responded to the blaze at 11167 Main St. in Champlain around 7 p.m.

BEING REMODELED

The fire broke out in a vacant house owned by Francis Tate Jr., who was restoring and remodeling the structure, according to Champlain Assistant Fire Chief Chris Trombley.

Tenants were supposed to move in on Friday, Trombley said.

The cause of the fire, according to Trombley, was believed to be electrical. The structure is still habitable and was not a total loss.

“Everyone did such a great job considering the weather we had,” Trombley said.

NEARBY RESIDENTS EVACUATED

Temperatures dipped to around 12 degrees Thursday night.

Water from the Champlain water system was used to combat the flames.

“We also augmented our water supply from the Great Chazy River as backup,” Trombley said.

Residents of a nearby apartment building were evacuated as a precaution.

SECOND BLAZE AVOIDED

Trombley said a second blaze was avoided due to the “very quick action” of firefighters.

A firefighter sustained neck and shoulder injuries, Champlain Fire Chief Tom Lefebvre said, and was taken to the emergency room for treatment.

The mutual aid response included assistance from the Mooers, Chazy, Rouses Point and Beekmantown Fire Departments, as well as departments from Lacolle, Hemingford and St, Paul Quebec.

The St. Bernard, Que., Fire Department was also on standby.

Crews were busy battling the flames until around 3 a.m. Friday.

Recommended for you