JAMES HENRY DARMODY, 85, of Amherst, N.Y., died Monday, Nov. 20, 2012, at the home of his daughter in Syracuse. Born on June 8, 1927 in Chateaugay, N.Y., he was the son of Michael and Mary (Phillips) Darmody. Calling hours will be held at the Chateaugay Funeral Home from 12 to 1:45 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 23. A Mass of Christian burial will follow at 2 p.m. in St. Patrick's Church, Chateaugay with Rev. John Looby officiating. Burial will take place in the parish cemetery.
- Region receives $81.3 million in funding awards The North Country Regional Economic Development Council is a top performer for the third year in a row.
Police: Two arrested after frat-house assault
SUNY Plattsburgh ordered the AXP fraternity to cease all formal activities.
- Share your holiday memories The Press-Republican wants to share the joy of past holidays with readers and invites submissions for future publication.
- Man struck by car critical Michael A. MaGee of West Chazy was hit as he crossed Smithfield Boulevard in Plattsburgh on Tuesday afternoon.
Shared-garage idea still alive
Malone Central School District is eyeing a new site since the FAA complicated plans to use a parcel near the Malone Town Highway Garage.
Hotel Saranac sold
Renovations to historic hotel are among top-16 priority projects awaiting word on funding from Albany on Wednesday.
State Tax Relief Commission report yields ideas
Local and state leaders, among them Clinton and Essex county officials, hope some of the proposals can save individuals and businesses in taxes.
- Fire chief pleads guilty to defrauding department Jason F. Whisher was sentenced to one year in jail, conditionally discharged, and paid $8,500 in restitution to the AuSable Forks Volunteer Fire Department.
Firefighters avert disaster in Champlain, Fort Covington
Damage was contained to mostly one room in both fires, one started by a child with a lighter and the other by an unattended candle.
- Douglas seeks to helm county again Jay Supervisor Randy Douglas is going for a fifth term as chairman of the Essex County Board of Supervisors.
- More Wednesday Headlines