By DENISE A. RAYMO
---- — MALONE — A former Paul Smiths man could face 50 years in state prison for ongoing sexual conduct with two children younger than 13.
Elwood J. Adams Jr., 39, formerly of 306 State Route 86, was convicted by a jury in Franklin County Court Monday afternoon following two days of testimony, according to a news release from the District Attorney’s Office.
He was found guilty of two counts of first-degree course of sexual conduct with a child before Acting County Court Judge Felix Catena.
Sentencing is set for 1:30 p.m. May 31. Adams could face 25-year sentences for each count.
Because there are two victims, the terms may run consecutive to each other rather than concurrent.
Adams was arrested in May 2012 following a three-week investigation by the DA’s Office, State Police and Child Protective Services of the County Department of Social Services.
Investigators said Adams sexually assaulted the two girls in the Town of Brighton and that the incidents had been going on a number of years.
The charges mean he had sexual intercourse with at least one of the girls, prosecutors said.
District Attorney Derek Champagne said the verdict “sends a strong message that the people of Franklin County do not tolerate crimes against children.
“Hopefully, these victims can go on and lead happy and productive lives in spite of the horrors they endured,” he said.
The case was prosecuted by Assistant DAs Elizabeth Crawford and David Hayes.
Champagne praised the children for the courage they showed in taking the stand to relive their experiences and face their abuser.
Crawford also thanked State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Investigators Sean Finn, Jonathan Garrow and Timothy Woodruff for their work on the case.
Email Denise A. Raymo:firstname.lastname@example.org