Press-Republican

November 28, 2012

Fire consumes storage barn in Ti

By JOE LoTEMPLIO
Press-Republican

---- — TICONDEROGA — Firefighters from three departments battled a blaze at a storage barn at 509 Chilson Road Monday evening.

The fire began shortly before 7 p.m. and was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, according to Ticonderoga First Assistant Fire Chief Matt Watts.

 A passer-by noticed the flames and knocked on the door of the barn’s owner, Walter Maher, to alert him to the blaze.

Maher called 911, and firefighters were dispatched.

Crews from Ticonderoga, Chilson and Crown Point worked to put out the fire, but the 20-by-20-foot structure was destroyed.

The barn was used mostly for storage for Maher’s contracting business, and tools and equipment were lost.

The blaze was under control shortly before 8 p.m., and no one was injured.

Firefighters from Putnam in Washington County backed up the Ticonderoga station, and the Essex County Fire Investigation unit was there to determine the origin of the blaze.

Email Joe LoTemplio: jlotemplio@pressrepublican.com