March 19, 2014

North Bangor family homeless after fire

North Bangor family displaced after Tuesday's blaze

NORTH BANGOR — Lisa Proper and Brad Rouselle learned their home was on fire while they were at work at Wal-Mart in Malone.

“My dad called my cellphone and told my boyfriend that we had to go home because the house was on fire.”


Proper and Rouselle lived at 1483 County Route 8 in North Bangor with their two daughters.

Fifteen-month-old Sophia and 3-month-old Isabella were staying with their grandparents, Pat and Sandy Proper, next door and weren’t in the home when the fire sparked in the middle of the night, said Bangor Volunteer Fire Department Chief Larry LaValley Jr. 

That came as a relief to firefighters who were unsure at first whether anyone was inside the home, he said. They had rescued a dog from the blaze.

The family was safe, “and that made my day,” the chief said.


The Bangor Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to the home at 3:45 a.m. after a passer-by reported the fire.

“It burned to the ground,” LaValley said of the two-story, wood-framed structure.

“It all collapsed right into the cellar,” Lisa said in a brief phone interview.

Her voice sad, she said nothing was salvageable.

All that’s left is a detached garage that is situated away from the home, LaValley said.

Lisa and Rouselle don’t have insurance, he said.


It was 5 degrees below zero when firefighters arrived at the home, which was fully engulfed in flames and had been burning for a while before it was spotted, LaValley said.

“We had a problem getting the water supply at first.”

It took the between 25 and 30 firefighters three hours to douse the flames, he said.

“We used about 30,000 gallons of water.”


The couple were buying the home on a land contract from Irene Southworth, he said.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
CVPH Job Opportunities