Press-Republican

Wednesday

March 5, 2014

Police: NAC student sparked fire in locker room

ELLENBURG — A student at Northern Adirondack Central School was charged with arson on Monday.

Using a can of body spray, a lighter and a gum blister pack, the 14-year-old Ellenburg Depot teen set a towel on fire in the boy’s locker room on Feb. 25, said State Police Troop B Public Information Officer Trooper Jennifer Fleishman.

Police did not release the teen’s name on Monday.

No one was injured, she said, but two lockers and some clothing items were damaged by flames and smoke.

Classes had already been let out at the time of the incident, and a fire alarm at about 4:14 p.m. cleared the rest of the people from the building, Fleishman said.

A teacher used an extinguisher to douse the fire.

The identity of the teen was determined after police analyzed surveillance footage taken from the school’s security camera, she said.

He was charged with fourth-degree arson, a felony, and was released on an appearance ticket returnable to Clinton County Family Court.

Email Felicia Krieg:fkrieg@pressrepublican.comTwitter: @FeliciaKrieg

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Wednesday
CVPH Job Opportunities