April 29, 2014

Chazy house fire wrecks dining room

CHAZY — Bob and Marilyn Dumas had no idea flames were licking at the front of their home Monday until a passer-by pounded on the door.

“I was trying to open the door,” Mrs. Dumas said, watching firefighters moving around the front of her house.

“Then I saw the fire.”

She hollered to her husband, and they got out, watching as flames engulfed the front wall and windows of their dining room before firefighters quickly knocked them down. 

“Very good save,” Chazy Volunteer Fire Department Capt. Dennis Pilon said.

A 911 call dispatched that fire company to 9454 Route 9 at about 8:40 a.m. Monday. West Chazy Volunteer Fire Department joined the effort, with Mooers Fire Department sending its air truck.

Clinton County Sheriff’s Department deputies directed traffic around that stretch, sending vehicles heading south down Duprey Road and back around. Cars headed north were sent down Sheldon Lane to the lakeshore then up Minckler Road to Duprey.


The couple’s dining-room chairs sat on the lawn just south of the couple’s driveway; in front of the home, behind a decorative wrought-iron fence, was a pile of wet, pink insulation.

Rain gutters, torn from the eaves, lay twisted in the grass.

“Stuff happens,” Mr. Dumas said with a shrug that said, “What’re you gonna do?”

Holding a green travel mug of coffee given to him by a neighbor, he looked at his wife with concern. 

“What are you doing without a coat?” 

She wasn’t cold, she insisted.

The room that took the brunt of the damage used to be a porch, but the Dumases had winterized it and made it into their dining room.

“Bob’s computer is over on this end,” Mrs. Dumas gestured. “My hutch was on the other end.

“My good set of china is in there; it’s really old.”

Text Only | Photo Reprints
CVPH Job Opportunities