MORRISONVILLE — Morrisonville Elementary School students were evacuated on Wednesday morning because of smoke.
The problem occurred the same time as a power outage caused by a car accident.
“A compression pump malfunctioned in the (school’s) boiler room, causing smoke and activating the alarm system,” Saranac Central Superintendent Ken Cringle told the Press-Republican by email.
Morrisonville and Cadyville volunteer fire departments responded to the call, which came in at about 7:25 a.m.
KIDS WAITED ON BUSES
The school was quickly evacuated, and students sat on buses, watching small amounts of smoke emanate from the building as firefighters handled the situation.
“The students were detained on the buses as a precautionary measure until a safety inspection was completed,” Cringle said.
The malfunction may be linked to a power outage that affected parts of Morrisonville.
“A power surge may have caused the motor malfunction when power was restored,” Cringle said.
A memo from Morrisonville Elementary School Principal Kathleen Moore was sent home to parents Wednesday afternoon, alerting them to the incident.
“All faculty, staff and students were able to enter the building shortly after 8 a.m. and continue their day as normal,” she said in the memo.
The only damage resulting from the incident, according to Cringle, was to the compression pump, which will have to be replaced.
“I’d like to thank the parents, students, staff, Morrisonville and Cadyville Fire Departments for responding in an appropriate and orderly manner,” Moore said.
“We are fortunate to be part of such a respectful, responsible community.”
POWER LINES BURNING
The power outage started as the result of a car accident that occurred on Route 22B in Morrisonville at about 3:20 a.m.
State Police said Cindy B. Bates, 56, of Morrisonville was driving a 2004 Honda sedan west when she allegedly fell asleep and drove off the south shoulder of the road.