June 23, 2013

8 injured in 3-vehicle accident

By FELICIA KRIEG Press-Republican

---- — CADYVILLE — Eight people were injured in an accident involving two cars and a motorcycle Saturday afternoon.

The call was dispatched at 2:20 p.m.

A Mazda CK-5 SUV, operated by Neil Duquette, 28, of Cadyville was driving west on Route 3 and slowed, attempting to turn into the driveway of 2555 Route 3 in the Town of Cadyville, said T.J. Strack, assistant chief for the Saranac Fire Department.

The address is between Duquette Road and Horse Heads Hill.

A Dodge neon operated by Joseph A. Fountain, 25, of Saranac was traveling behind the Mazda. Fountain could not stop in time and struck the SUV, Strack said.

The Mazda was pushed into the east bound lane and struck a Yamaha motorcycle driven by James Sholtis, 52, of Cadyville, according to the Sheriff’s office.

Three passengers in the Dodge were transported to CVPH Medical Center: Nichole M. Litz, 24, of Plattsburgh; Keegan E. Litz, 1, of Plattsburgh; and Brayden J. Litz, 3, of Plattsburgh.

Duquette was also transported to CVPH, along with two passengers from his Mazda: Sarah L. Cronk-Duquette, 28, of Cadyville, and Cassandra M. Peck, 28, of Champlain.

A passenger on the motorcycle, Morgan J. Sholtis, 14, of Cadyville, was also transported to CVPH.

Nichole Litz was admitted for observation; Keegan and Brayden Litz were treated and released. Neil Duquette, Cassandra Peck, and Morgan Sholtis were also treated and released. Sarah Cronk-Duquette was being evaluated at the time of publication.

Six ambulances responded to the accident site, Strack said. They were EMS departments from Morrisonville, Saranac, Dannemora, Cadyville and CVPH. The State Police and the Sheriff’s Department also responded.

Fountain was ticketed for following too close, unsafe tire, speed unreasonable and imprudent for road conditions and inadequate brakes, according to the Sheriff’s office. Fountain is to appear in the Town of Saranac Court at a later date.

Saranac Fire Chief Donald Uhler, a paramedic, assessed the patients at the site of the crash.

“You have to assess who’s critical and who’s not critical” to decide who needs to get to the hospital first, Uhler said.

The eight patients were on their way to the hospital less than 30 minutes after the incident was called into emergency authorities, he said.

“That’s very good when you have a big scene like that.”

Shortly after 3 p.m., fire and EMS personnel were sweeping debris out of the street. They pushed the badly damaged Dodge out of the road so it could be reopened to traffic.

Email Felicia Krieg:

Twitter: @FeliciaKrieg