November 10, 2013

Police investigate possible arson at abandoned Bangor house

BANGOR — State Police are investigating a fire that destroyed an abandoned house Thursday as a possible arson.

State Police Troop B Bureau of Criminal Investigation Investigator Erik Burnett said he went to 240 Gallop Road on Friday morning and that the investigation remained in its initial stages.

“It (arson investigation) could change after I talk to the (Franklin County) Cause and Origin Team,” he said.

But, until arson is ruled out, Burnett is treating the blaze as suspicious, as the building hadn’t had electricity for years, he said.


The house seems to have been abandoned for about 40 years, Bangor Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jerry Dumas said.

The Bangor Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched at 10:14 p.m. Thursday, according to Franklin County Dispatch.

State Police were notified about the fire 10 minutes after the Bangor Volunteer Fire Department was sent to the house, according to a State Police blotter entry.

“It was called in by a passer-by, I believe,” Dumas said.

“Upon arrival of our first units, the building was fully involved.”

It took the 35 firefighters who responded about 45 minutes to contain the fire, Dumas said.


“We actually just controlled the spread (of the blaze), and we let a lot of the fire burn itself out,” since the building was abandoned, he said.

“It was a defensive attack.”

No people or animals were inside the two-story wood-frame house, and no one was injured, Dumas said.

The last people listed as owning the property were Joel and Wanda Allen, according to the Franklin County Real Property Office.

Providing mutual aid were fire departments from Malone, Brushton and Moira, and deputy coordinators from Franklin County Emergency Services also responded, he said.

The Bangor Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at 1:28 a.m., Franklin County Dispatch said.

Email Felicia Krieg:fkrieg@pressrepublican.comTwitter: @FeliciaKrieg

Text Only | Photo Reprints
CVPH Job Opportunities