Press-Republican

Sunday

December 22, 2013

Police Log: Dec. 22, 2013 — Fire

MOOERS — Wood stove ashes sparked, causing an early-morning fire Saturday at a garage attached to home at 815 Hemmingford Road in Mooers, authorities said.

The Mooers Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched there at about 4 a.m., said Fire Chief Raymond Phair.

No one was injured and there was no damage to the home itself, Phair said.

Homeowner Sheila Arruda reported the blaze to emergency personnel, the chief said.

Her wood stove was on when the fire started, he said.

“She smelled smoke and went out to check and opened up her garage and it was flames and smoke.”

Phair said the situation could have been much worse if Arruda had remained sleeping.

“The best thing about is is she caught it right away.”

When firefighters arrived, there was “heavy black smoke pouring out the door.”

“We had a quick knockdown.”

Arruda’s vehicle was parked in the garage and sustained some exterior heat damage and some smoke damage to its interior, Phair said.

“We (firefighters) were able to start the car up and back it out the garage door.”

He said Arruda likely has both car and homeowner’s insurance.

The Champlain Volunteer Fire Department was originally dispatched as automatic mutual aid but they were able to remain on standby at the Mooers station, Phair said.

The Mooers Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at about 5 a.m., he said.

Phair said those who use wood stoves can prevent fires by taking the proper steps to clean the units.

“When you clean the wood stove put the ashes in a metal pan and throw them in the snow away from the house.”

— By Staff Writer Felicia Krieg

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Sunday
CVPH Job Opportunities