Press-Republican

Sunday

March 2, 2014

Bayside Chimney and Stoves expands

PLATTSBURGH — Bayside Chimney and Stoves has expanded with the acquisition of Adirondack Chimney Service.

Bayside Chimney owner Duane Bibeau said Adirondack Chimney Service had been owned and operated by Jerry Gregg for about 20 years. Bibeau said Gregg approached him about buying the business — including his equipment, tools, inventory and customer list — as Gregg sought to retire “to ensure his customers get the same level of service they’ve had for the last 20 years.”

Located at 10 South Platt St. in the City of Plattsburgh, Bayside Chimney carries a wide variety of gas, wood and pellet stoves and fireplaces. Other services include repairs of all brands, chimney inspections, chimney construction and re-facing, pressure washing and masonry. 

CERTIFICATION ATTAINED

The technicians have certifications from the National Fireplace Institute and Chimney Safety Institute of America, with the latter the only certification recognized for chimney sweeps, Bibeau said.

His experience in masonry comes via family connections, as his father, grandfather and uncles were all masons. That gives him an edge when it comes to chimney repairs, as he is trained in both fields.

The Chimney Safety Institute recommends at least a Level 1 inspection on an annual basis for systems that haven’t changed, with cleaning performed if indicated by the inspection. 

It involves inspection of the exterior of the chimney as well as interior and accessible portions of the combustion appliance and chimney connection. The technician will also verify the chimney is free of obstructions and combustible deposits.

If changes have been made to the system, a Level 2 inspection should be conducted. That includes a video scan of the interior of the chimney.

“The consumer can watch right on the screen,” Bibeau said.

Problems can arise from faulty systems, poor wood quality and the common practice of reducing air flow at night to make the fuel last longer. The latter practice causes a less intense burn, which leads to increased creosote buildup, a leading cause of chimney fires.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Sunday
CVPH Job Opportunities