FORT COVINGTON — Philip L. Leroux, 71, of Fort Covington, died unexpectedly Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013. Born in Malone on Aug. 3, 1941, he was the son of the late Leo and Madeline Brockway Leroux.
He was a 1958 graduate of Salmon River Central School in Fort Covington and later from the Central City Business Institute in Syracuse. He was united in marriage to the former Odelia "Dolly" Muehl in St. Augustine's Church in North Bangor on Nov. 9, 1963, by Father Weir.
Phil began his career working for New York State as a Tax Auditor from 1964 to 1974. In 1974, he purchased Howard Tuper's fuel oil business in Fort Covington, MacDonald's in Moira in 1979, and Doug's ARCO in Moira in 1981. In 1986, he opened his first Quick Stop in Fort Covington, followed by his Moira store in 1989, the B.W. Quick Stop in Brasher-Winthrop in 1990, and the St. Regis Falls Quick Stop in 1997. Phil was the owner and president of Leroux Oil, Inc. at the time of his passing.
He was a communicant of St. Mary's Church in Fort Covington and a member of the Parish Council. He was a 4th Degree member of Knights of Columbus, a member of Malone Lodge of Elks, Malone Golf and Country Club, Highland Golf Club, and Weller Mountain Hunting Club. He was the current treasurer of Fort Covington Fire Department and a past president. He was twice-elected Supervisor of the Town of Fort Covington, and served as Franklin County Legislator for District 1 from 1988 to 1991. He was a member of the Alice Hyde Hospital Board of Directors for many years and was benefactor of the Martin J. Leroux Health Center in Fort Covington, named in memory of his beloved son, Marty. He will long be remembered for his philanthropy.
Phil was an avid hunter, fisherman, snowmobiler, and golfer. He especially enjoyed hunting trips to Canada and the West for moose, elk, and caribou with his hunting buddies.