CLEARWATER, Fla. — Dean V. Chandler died peacefully on May 1, 2013. Dean was born on Jan. 7, 1926, in Rensselaer, N.Y., the son of Marian and Floyd V. Chandler.
He enlisted in the Navy Air Force in 1944 at the age of 18 and was trained at the Memphis, Tenn. and Whidbey Island, Wash. Naval Air Stations. He was assigned to the South Pacific in time to participate in the invasion of the three Phillipine islands of Leyte, Samar, and Mindoro under the command of General Douglas MacArthur.
In 1946 he received his honorable discharge and returned to the United States. The following year he was admitted to Siena College and graduated with the Class of 1951. He then accepted a position with the Travelers Insurance Company as a residential casualty adjuster and later served in managerial capacities in the Albany office.
He resigned his position in 1960 to purchase the Sanford M. Forrence Insurance Agency in Keeseville, N.Y. and founded Agency Insurance Brokers of Plattsburgh, N.Y. in 1970. He served as the agency's chairman, president, chief executive officer and majority stockholder until his retirement in 1997.
Dean was a past president of the Plattsburgh and Clinton County Chamber of Commerce and past chairman of the Clinton County Tourist Bureau. He served for 22 years on the board of the Keeseville National Bank and was also a board member of Evergreen Bancorp of Glens Falls. He was a past president and secretary of the Keeseville Kiwanis Club and a board member of the Plattsburgh Kiwanis Club. Dean was a past director of the N.Y. State Independent Insurance Agents Association and past president of its Clinton County Chapter. He was also a member of the National Professional Insurance Agents Association.
Dean was a life member of the Plattsburgh Lodge of Elks, past scout master of Troop 39 of Plattsburgh, a member of the Keeseville United Methodist Church and a loyal member of the National Rifle Association. He was a member of the Triton Fish and Game Club of Quebec City and a board member of the St. Bernard Fish and Game Club of St. Alexis des Monts, Quebec.