LAKE PLACID — Dr. George Gremple Hart, a life-long resident of Lake Placid, died quietly at home on Tuesday, May 13, 2014, in his 98th year.
Dr. Hart was the son of Edward and Sarah Gremple Hart. Edward Hart was an orphan in London, England, and arrived in the New World on the S. S. Numidian from Liverpool at Montreal in 1895 at the age of 14. Sarah Gremple came to Saranac Lake from New York City to cure for tuberculosis. Edward and Sarah married, and Dr. Hart was born July 22, 1916, in Lake Placid.
He graduated from Lake Placid High School in 1934. He attended McGill University in Montreal, and he received the degrees of Bachelor of Science, Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery. McGill is one of the few universities that awards the two degrees of Doctor of Medicine and Master of Surgery to the graduates of its medical school. At McGill, he was a member of the Osler Society and the Nu Sigma Nu fraternity. He interned at St. Luke's Hospital in Cleveland, Ohio, and after World War II, he trained in obstetrics in Providence, R.I.
In 1942, Dr. Hart joined the U.S. Army Medical Corps as a flight surgeon and was attached to the 46th Fighter Squadron for over three years, all service being in the Pacific area of combat. His last post was the bivouac area on Iwo Jima where many casualties ensued, and Dr. Hart was the only medical officer on duty following a Banzai attack. For his actions, he was awarded the Silver Star for uncommon valor.
After World War II, Dr. Hart returned to Lake Placid, took more medical training and undertook the general practice of medicine. During his years of practice, he was a staff member at Placid Memorial Hospital, where he served several terms as President of the Medical Staff, and Saranac Lake General Hospital. He served as President of the New York State Academy of Family Practice in 1970 - 71. He was a member of the American Medical Association and the New York State Medical Society. During his years of practice, he delivered generations of babies born in Lake Placid, was the doctor on call for many of the hotels, made house calls as a major part of his practice, had office hours and was available to the community for their medical needs 24 hours a day. He covered school, community, and international sporting events. He was the doctor for North Country School. In 1975, he was appointed Medical Director of Uihlein Mercy Center and served until 1987, when he retired from the practice of medicine.