PORT ORANGE, FLA. — William Meyer, formerly of Lake Placid and Saranac Lake, died peacefully April 16, 2013, in Port Orange, in the presence of his family. He was born Nov. 4, 1923, in Lake Placid, the son of Simon and Celia Meyer. Bill, as he was known, was the youngest of three children. In his youth, he was an avid tennis player and golfer. He was a lifelong fitness enthusiast.
Bill's father emigrated from eastern Poland, near the current city of Zamosc, when he was near the age of 16; entering the United States at Ellis Island around 1900, and selling goods from a street cart before becoming a tailor. Simon moved to Lake Placid for his health in 1904 and eventually opened his own clothing store on Main Street, which he operated until his death in 1954. Bill's mother, Celia Meyer, was born in New York City, moved to Lake Placid around 1912, after her marriage to Simon, and died in 1972.
Bill attended Lake Placid High School, participating in basketball and track, and graduated in 1942. He enlisted in the Army during WWII, serving in the Air Corps from 1942-46. He taught celestial navigation and reached the rank of staff sergeant. In June 1944, while at Chatham Field in Georgia, he contracted typhus and was hospitalized, near death, for a month. Following his honorary discharge, Bill attended the University of Vermont (UVM), pursuing a degree in medicine. While at UVM, he met Lenore Eichel, who would become his wife of 64 years. Convinced by his older brother, Norman, that he should become a pharmacist and join Norman in operating a chain of drugstores in the North Country, Bill enrolled at the Albany College of Pharmacy. Upon receiving his pharmacist license, Bill and Norman operated drug stores in Clinton, Essex and Franklin counties. Bill and Lenore married in 1948, and they eventually moved to Saranac Lake, where he spent most of his professional career managing drug stores there and in Lake Placid. In the early 1980s he went into semi-retirement, working part-time as a pharmacist at Adirondack Correctional Facility in Ray Brook. In 1989, he and Lenore relocated to Port Orange, where they spent 24 wonderful retirement years. He was an active member of the Port Orange Family YMCA.