---- — NAPLES, Fla./ESSEX, N.Y. — Charles H. Lewis, 86, of Naples, Fla. and Essex, N.Y., died on Sunday, July 21, 2013, at CVPH Medical Center.
He was born on July 19, 1927, at Port Henry, N.Y., the son of Clyde H. and Marion (Spaulding) Lewis.
He attended public schools at Mineville and Plattsburgh, N.Y. and after serving as a Sergeant in the 20th Air Force in the Pacific Theater, graduated from Union College in 1950 and Albany Law School in 1956.
He practiced law in Plattsburgh as an associate with the FitzPatrick law firm and as a partner with B. Loyal O'Connell, and later as senior partner with the firm of Lewis, Bell and Niles in Plattsburgh until elected as Clinton County Surrogate and County Judge, serving in that capacity until his retirement in 1997. He served as an Assistant Attorney General of the State of New York from 1960 until 1973. After his retirement he was appointed as a Judicial Hearing Officer and worked in that capacity in several upstate New York courts.
Judge Lewis was active in many civic activities including the Plattsburgh Rotary Club serving as its president and named as a Paul Harris Fellow. He served as Director and Treasurer of the CVPH Medical Center, Secretary and Director of the Samuel F. Vilas Home, Director of Literacy Volunteers and as an Elder of the Peru Community Church. He was a proud recipient of the Irishman of the Year award. While residing in Florida, he was certified by the Supreme Court of Florida as a mediator. Judge Lewis was active in the North Naples Rotary Club, Habitat for Humanity, as a boat captain for the Conservancy of Southwest Florida, as a Guardian Advocate in the David Lawrence Center and as an Ambassador for the Guadalupe Center for Children in Immokalee, Fla. He was a student and an officer of the Alliance Francaise of Bonita Springs, Fla. Additionally, he was a panel member of the Citizens' Foster Care Review Board of Collier County, Florida. He was a communicant of the Naples United Church of Christ and for seventeen years regularly attended the Essex Community Church in Essex, N.Y., during the summer months. He was an avid carver of song birds in both Naples and in Essex.
Judge Lewis was predeceased by his parents; his sister Joyce Lewis Carlson of Williston, Vt. In 2012, and by his first wife, Margaret McDowell Lewis in 1983.
Survivors include his wife Renee Rosch Lewis, whom he married in 1996; daughter Susan Serfis and her husband Alan Januszweski of Plattsburgh, daughter Ann M. Lewis and son-in-law Paul Modrell of Raleigh, N.C.; son Michael and daughter-in-law Judith of Arlington, Va., and son Charles and his wife Kelly of Greensboro, N.C. Additionally, he is survived by granddaughters Keri and Jessica Serfis, Brianna Lewis, Katie Lewis; and grandsons Colin and Liam Lewis. He is also survived by four stepchildren, Susan Rosch, Joseph Rosch and spouse Holland Cotter, Brucie Rosch, and Ted Rosch and his wife Christine.
A Memorial service will be held at at 11:00 a.m., on Saturday July 27, at the Essex Community Church, Essex, N.Y. Memorials may be made in his name to the Essex Community Church, Main St., Essex, NY, The FitzPatrick Cancer Center, Plattsburgh, N.Y. or to the Charles H. Lewis and Renee A. Rosch Lewis Endowment Fund at Adirondack Community Fund, 2284 Saranac Avenue, Lake Placid, NY 12946. The endowment fund established many years ago benefits charities in the Adirondack Region.
Arrangements have been entrusted to Brown Funeral Home, 29 Broad Street, Plattsburgh, NY 12901 (518) 561-3980. Online condolence and memorial candles may be offered at www.brownfuneralhomeinc.com.