NAPLES, Fla./ESSEX, N.Y. — Charles H. Lewis, 86, of Naples, Fla. and Essex, N.Y., died on Sunday, July 21, 2013, at CVPH Medical Center.
He was born on July 19, 1927, at Port Henry, N.Y., the son of Clyde H. and Marion (Spaulding) Lewis.
He attended public schools at Mineville and Plattsburgh, N.Y. and after serving as a Sergeant in the 20th Air Force in the Pacific Theater, graduated from Union College in 1950 and Albany Law School in 1956.
He practiced law in Plattsburgh as an associate with the FitzPatrick law firm and as a partner with B. Loyal O'Connell, and later as senior partner with the firm of Lewis, Bell and Niles in Plattsburgh until elected as Clinton County Surrogate and County Judge, serving in that capacity until his retirement in 1997. He served as an Assistant Attorney General of the State of New York from 1960 until 1973. After his retirement he was appointed as a Judicial Hearing Officer and worked in that capacity in several upstate New York courts.
Judge Lewis was active in many civic activities including the Plattsburgh Rotary Club serving as its president and named as a Paul Harris Fellow. He served as Director and Treasurer of the CVPH Medical Center, Secretary and Director of the Samuel F. Vilas Home, Director of Literacy Volunteers and as an Elder of the Peru Community Church. He was a proud recipient of the Irishman of the Year award. While residing in Florida, he was certified by the Supreme Court of Florida as a mediator. Judge Lewis was active in the North Naples Rotary Club, Habitat for Humanity, as a boat captain for the Conservancy of Southwest Florida, as a Guardian Advocate in the David Lawrence Center and as an Ambassador for the Guadalupe Center for Children in Immokalee, Fla. He was a student and an officer of the Alliance Francaise of Bonita Springs, Fla. Additionally, he was a panel member of the Citizens' Foster Care Review Board of Collier County, Florida. He was a communicant of the Naples United Church of Christ and for seventeen years regularly attended the Essex Community Church in Essex, N.Y., during the summer months. He was an avid carver of song birds in both Naples and in Essex.