PLATTSBURGH — Mrs. Phyllis C. Barnard, 93, died Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013, in Plattsburgh, N.Y. She was born in North Bangor, N.Y. on April 1, 1920, the daughter of the late Leon and Helen (Hutchins) Crinklaw.
She attended elementary school at North Bangor Union School, and graduated from Franklin Academy in Malone, N.Y. in 1936. She then entered Plattsburgh Normal School (now SUNY) and obtained a teaching certificate in 1939. While attending Plattsburgh Normal School, she took part in a number of extra-curricular activities including Mixed Chorus, Dramatics Club, and Alpha Kappa Phi Society.
Her first three years of teaching were in rural schools in the North Bangor area. During the summer of 1942, Potsdam Normal School offered her a position teaching 4th grade in the Model School. She taught there for two years. On June 23, 1943, she married Russell Barnard of Plattsburgh, and continued to teach in Potsdam until June 1944. In the fall of 1947, she entered Plattsburgh State to obtain a degree in teaching and also taught in the 4th grade at the Campus School.
In 1948, she filled a 4th grade position at Peru Central School, after which she returned to the Campus School in 1949. For the next 16 ^ years, she taught both 1st and 2nd grades and served as a demonstration teacher. Students pursuing education careers observed and participated in her classroom. During those years, she continued her studies for a master's degree, as well as certification in supervision and administration.
While at Plattsburgh State, Mrs. Barnard was active in committee work. For many years, she was elected by the Education Department faculty to serve as their representative on the Executive Council, an advisory body to the college president. She achieved the rank of associate professor. In February 1965, Peru Central School offered her the position of principal at Southside School on Plattsburgh Air Force Base, where she remained until her retirement in 1976. She was a member of the School Administrators of New York State, and served as president of the local unit.