Press-Republican

Monday

June 10, 2013

Trailer destroyed by fire in Peru

PERU — The Sunday afternoon fire that destroyed a mobile home in Peru appears to have started from an electrical source.

“It looks like it was a short in a cord,” Peru Fire Chief Brian Westover said.

The Peru Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to Mark Way at 11:32 a.m.

The single-wide trailer at 20 Mark Way is owned by Bill Agoney of Peru and was rented by Craig and Tina Rock.

The Rocks were waiting outside their home Saturday afternoon for representatives from North Country Chapter of the American Red Cross to arrive.

The couple was not home when the fire started but arrived there while the 30 firefighters were working to extinguish the blaze, Westover said.

Craig said his cousin texted him about the fire, and he and his wife immediately returned home to find their house badly damaged.

The fire was mostly contained to the area between the kitchen and the living room, but smoke had damaged the whole trailer.

“They’re going to be able to save some of their contents but the trailer is going to be considered a total loss,” Westover said.

“It’s devastating,” Tina said, standing in her charred living room.

She said she was feeling an overwhelming combination of emotions.

“You name it, it’s there.”

Cats injured

No people were injured; two cats, Buster and Louie, were rescued from the home by firefighters, Westover said.

The Rock’s third cat, Bones, was able to make it out of the home largely unscathed.

“She just had to have a bath,” Tina said.

All three cats were at the vet, though. Buster’s paws were burned and Louie’s right lung collapsed, Tina said.

The Rock’s children, Alexis, 9, and Tyler, 8, were with Craig’s mother, Pam Rock, when the fire started, Pam said.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Monday
CVPH Job Opportunities