(To the tune of “The First Noel”)
As the holidays approach,
Please keep safety in mind
So no accidents occur and
No injuries you’ll find.
It’s holiday season once again and good time to remind everyone of some simple things that can be done to keep the family safe and sound.
First, if you have a tree, secure it well to keep it from tipping. If it is a live tree, make sure it’s fresh, green and watered so it doesn’t dry out. In addition, make sure the needles are hard to pull off. Keep it away from floor heaters, fireplaces or other heat sources. If your tree is artificial, make sure it’s fire resistant. Keep no more than three strands of lights linked together on an extension cord, and never use electric lights on a metal tree, as there is a risk of shock.
If there are children in the home, keep tinsel, small decorations, bulbs and other choking hazards out of the reach of small children.
Some lighting products for sale at stores warn about lead content in the wires. While the amount of lead contained in these wires is small, it’s still a good idea to avoid asking children to hang lights and keep the wires out of reach of children. Wear gloves to hang the lights, and wash hands after you have finished your decorating. You can also look for lead-free holiday lights, but they may be hard to find. The branches on older artificial trees may also be lead hazards.
Avoid candles on trees, and keep candles placed elsewhere out of the reach of small children or just don’t light them up at all when children are in the house. Turn off all lights and blow out all candles when you sleep or leave the house to avoid a potential fire hazard — and, of course, make sure your smoke detectors are working.