Press-Republican

Friday

March 1, 2013

Conference Center heater malfunctions

LAKE PLACID — Convention and Visitors Bureau offices here were evacuated Thursday while fire officials investigated the smell of propane.

Jon Lundin, spokesman for the Olympic Regional Development Authority, said the odor was coming from the northern annex of the Conference Center.

The Lake Placid Volunteer Fire Department responded, and about 10 employees were evacuated from the building while the ventilation and heating systems were inspected.

“The Fire Department came and determined that we had a malfunctioning heater on the roof of the Conference Center. And we have shut the heater down,” Lundin said Thursday.

“In between that time, we worked to find the source of the leak and vented the gas out of the building.”

Firefighters used big fans to re-circulate the air in the office area.

They reopened the building just after 1:30 p.m.

During the incident, Main Street was closed from the Olympic Hill to Cummings Road, which provides access between the Olympic Center and Lake Placid Middle/High School.

Lake Placid police rerouted traffic to the village around Mirror Lake Drive.

No convention groups were booked at the time, according to the Conference Center schedule.

The Visitors Bureau section was recently rebuilt as part of a $22 million Conference Center update.

Email Kim Smith Dedam at:

kdedam@pressrepublican.com

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Friday
CVPH Job Opportunities