PLATTSBURGH — Plattsburgh City Fire Department responded to three dryer fires at Pactiv Corporation between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.
No one was injured.
”They were very quick calls,” City of Plattsburgh Fire Department Assistant Chief Randy Stone said. “Luckily, on these two occasions the internal system worked and fire was extinguished.”
Most of those fires are dust fires,” Stone said. The dryers heat up paper, which is on metal drying platforms inside the dryers, he said.
Sometimes the paper will jam and ignite, Stone said.
The first call came in just before 7 p.m. Wednesday with city firefighters leaving the food service and packaging company at 7:21 p.m., Stone said.
The fire was out upon arrival, but firefighters checked all three levels to be sure the fire was extinguished, he said.
The dryers at Pactiv extend two floors above the ground floor, Stone said.
The second call was at 6:41 a.m. Thursday morning with the Fire Department leaving Pactiv just before 7 a.m.
The internal sprinkler system had extinguished the fire so it was out when the Fire Department arrived but officials searched the three floors this time too to confirm the fire was out, Stone said.
The third call, this time for a fire in machine 11, was dispatched to Pactiv shortly before 6:20 p.m Thursday.
The general manager of Pactiv Corporation, located at 74 Weed St. in Plattsburgh, could not be reached Thursday for comment.
SARANAC LAKE — A man who told police he was homeless was arrested for violating the condition of his release from law enforcement custody.
Shortly before 2 p.m. on Thursday, Heath Smith, 31, formerly of Lake Placid, was arrested on a warrant issued by Essex County Court and was sent to Essex County Jail to await arraignment, Saranac Lake Police said.
The charges that lead to Smith being incarcerated originally were not available Thursday.