Today is Tuesday, July 23, the 204th day of 2013. There are 161 days left in the year.
Today's Highlight in History:
On July 23, 1983, an Air Canada Boeing 767 ran out of fuel while flying from Montreal to Edmonton; the pilots were able to glide the jetliner to a safe emergency landing in Gimli, Manitoba. The near-disaster occurred because the fuel had been erroneously measured in pounds instead of kilograms at a time when Canada was converting to the metric system.
On this date:
- In 1885, Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th president of the United States, died in Mount McGregor, N.Y., at age 63.
- In 1886, a legend was born as Steve Brodie claimed to have made a daredevil plunge from the Brooklyn Bridge into New York's East River. However, there are doubts about whether the dive actually took place.
- In 1888, author Raymond Chandler was born in Chicago.
- In 1914, Austria-Hungary issued a list of demands to Serbia following the killing of Archduke Franz Ferdinand by a Serb assassin; the dispute led to World War I.
- In 1945, French Marshal Henri Petain, who had headed the Vichy (vee-shee) government during World War II, went on trial, charged with treason. He was convicted and condemned to death, but the sentence was commuted.
- In 1951, Petain died in prison.
- In 1952, Egyptian military officers led by Gamal Abdel Nasser launched a successful coup against King Farouk I.
- In 1967, a week of deadly race-related rioting that claimed 43 lives erupted in Detroit.
- In 1977, a jury in Washington, D.C., convicted 12 Hanafi (hah-NAH'-fee) Muslims of charges stemming from the hostage siege at three buildings the previous March.
- In 1986, Britain's Prince Andrew married Sarah Ferguson at Westminster Abbey in London. The couple divorced in 1996.
- In 1997, the search for Andrew Cunanan, the suspected killer of designer Gianni Versace (JAH'-nee vur-SAH'-chee) and others, ended as police found his body on a houseboat in Miami Beach, an apparent suicide.
- In 2011, singer Amy Winehouse, 27, was found dead in her London home from accidental alcohol poisoning.