Parents have been overdosing me with questions about accidental poisonings and what can be done to prevent their child from eating or drinking something they shouldn’t.
Since March is National Poison Prevention Month, I thought I’d get into some poison prevention strategies so your child doesn’t get into some dangerous household substances.
More than 2 million poisonings occur each year.
Ninety percent of them happen in the home and more than half the children involved are younger than 6 years of age.
While no parent ever intends to give their child something that will make them sick, accidents can and do occur — often right before your eyes.
Many poisonous household items are often within their reach, including household cleaners, personal care products or over-the-counter medications.
Step one is to store drugs and medication in a medicine cabinet that is locked and out of reach. In fact, even common bathroom products such as toothpaste or shampoo should be locked up, and any medicines in your purse should also be kept off limits or away from small children who are always curious to see what is inside a handbag.
All medications should have child safety caps, even if they are adult medications. Even “child resistant” does not mean child proof — only that it will take your child longer to get into it, and by that time you may discover your child trying to open the pill container or medicine bottle.
Don’t take medicine in front of your child or say it is like taking candy or your child is apt to imitate you — with undesirable outcomes.
Store hazardous detergents and cleaning products in locked cabinets or where they are also out of your child’s reach. That means they should not go under the kitchen or bathroom sink unless these storage areas are locked with a safety latch.