Cardinals end tennis season with 9-0 setback
CLINTON — The Plattsburgh State women’s tennis team struggled in the final tune-up before the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament, wrapping up the regular season with a 9-0 loss at Hamilton in a non-conference match Sunday afternoon.
Veering from the usual format due to rain, the two teams agreed to play pro sets for the six singles matches. Plattsburgh State struggled to score points as no Cardinal tallied more than two points in their set.
The Cardinals end the regular season with a 4-7 overall record and a 0-3 mark in conference play. Hamilton improves to 4-0 on the year with the win.
Plattsburgh State will now turn its attention to the SUNYAC Tennis Tournament which begins Friday at the Binghamton Tennis Center in Binghamton, N.Y. The Cardinals enter the tournament as the No. 4 seed in the East and will open the postseason with a match against the top seed in the West, Geneseo, Friday at 2 p.m.
1. Meg Lee / Liz Detwiler def. Emily Carlin / Kaitlyn Healy (PLT), 8-0
2. Bella Schoning / Winnie Tang def. Sarah Drexinger / Jacqueline Ciriello (PLT), 8-2
3. Emily Chan / Sara Shaughnessy def. Meghan Ryan / Ally Demeter (PLT), 8-1
1. B. Schoning def. E. Carlin (PLT), 8-2
2. W. Tang def. K. Healy (PLT), 8-1
3. S. Shaughnessy def. Olivia Wyand (PLT), 8-0
4. L. Detwiler def. M. Ryan (PLT), 8-1
5. Rachel Friedman def. S. Drexinger (PLT), 8-2
6. Mei Lin Pratt def. J. Ciriello (PLT), 8-2
Saranac Lake-B’town games moved to PHS
BEEKMANTOWN — The Saranac Lake at Beekmantown football games scheduled for Saturday have been switched to the Plattsburgh High School Athletic Complex because of work being done to the water system at Beekmantown Central.
The junior-varsity game will begin at 10 a.m. with the varsity kickoff slated for 1:30 p.m.