November 17, 2013

Schalmont explodes in second, takes down Eagles

CLINTONVILLE — Beekmantown held Schalmont to three-and-out on its first two possessions Saturday and was within 7-0 at the end of the first quarter.

Then the Sabres unleashed their powerful offense — with some big assists from the defense.


Click here

to view

Bonus Photos.

Just over three minutes into the second quarter, the Eagles trailed 34-0. Schalmont put up 47 points in the second quarter and gained 280 yards of offense in the first half as it drubbed Beekmantown 60-6 in a NYSPHSAA Class B football quarterfinal at AuSable Valley.

“We had a pretty good first quarter,” Beekmantown coach Jamie Lozier said. “And then that no-huddle offense of theirs, the pace. And they’re so aggressive and so strong and fast.

“In the second quarter it caught us. Our guys were winded, and they just had a huge second quarter.”

Schalmont (11-0), the Section II champion, advanced to the semifinals at Dietz Stadium in Kingston.

The fourth-ranked Sabres turned their seven-point lead into a 21-0 advantage with touchdowns that came 1:08 apart. Trevon Perez-Tucker ran 28 yards down the sideline, and then Schalmont recovered a fumble on Beekmantown’s first play of its drive and Devon Willis plunged one yard for another score.

Paul Mattick’s second interception of the game led to Kyle Strube’s 27-yard touchdown scamper at 2:43, and then lineman Marcus Ramundo picked up a fumble and rumbled 35 yards to make it 34-0 with 8:45 left in the quarter.

Before halftime, the Sabres added two more fumble recoveries as well as an interception by Willis, which he ran back 71 yards for the sixth score of the game. Schalmont picked off five total passes Saturday.

“Their secondary are their best athletes,” Lozier said. “The guys on offense that kill everybody are their secondary guys, and they were all over our guys.”

Nick Gallo tacked on a 48-yard rushing touchdown and a 40-yard scoring pass down the sideline to a wide-open Hunter Gac. Gallo, who also had a rushing touchdown in the first quarter, led the Sabres on the ground with 96 yards and threw for 56 yards. Strube finished with 60 yards on four carries, and he caught two passes.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local Sports