October 25, 2013

Lions tested by Panthers but prevail in Class D

ELIZABETHTOWN — The Elizabethtown-Lewis boys’ soccer team allowed just one shot on goal to Crown Point on Thursday afternoon.

But that was enough to give the second-seeded Lions a run for their money.

Austin Morris’ second goal of the game, at 7:59 of the second half, broke a 1-all tie and lifted Elizabethtown-Lewis to a 2-1 victory over the seventh-seeded Panthers in the Section VII Class D quarterfinals.

“It was a hard-fought game from Crown Point,” Elizabethtown-Lewis coach Paul Buehler said. “(Thursday) was great sectional soccer, with great emotion.”

The Lions grabbed an early lead when Morris tallied his first goal of the game off a scramble just 45 seconds in.

It stayed that way until early in the second half when Crown Point’s Noah Macey sent in a service, and Chance Potter tallied off a scramble to tie the game.

Joel Morris then beat three defenders, got to the end line and played the ball out to Austin Morris near the penalty mark. Austin Morris buried the shot for the game-winning goal.

“We had some difficulty penetrating the final 18 yards,” Buehler said. “Crown Point got strong games from Noah Macey and (keeper) Brendan Crowningshield.”

The Lions controlled play with a 14-1 shot advantage.

Elizabethtown-Lewis will host Wells in Monday’s semifinals.

Elizabethtown-Lewis 2, Crown Point 1

Crown Point 0 1 — 1

Elizabethtown-Lewis 1 1 — 2

First half- 1, EL, A. Morris, :45.

Second half- 2, CP, Potter (Macey). 3, EL, A. Morris (J. Morris), 7:59.

Shots: Elizabethtown-Lewis 14, Crown Point 1.

Saves: Crowningshield, CP, 6. Farrell, EL, 0.



SCHROON LAKE — Things didn’t start out well for the Wildcats when the Warriors’ Zach Pierson scored just 40 seconds into the contest.

But Tanner Stone tied it shortly after at 2:30, and the score stayed that way until Alex Shaughnessy’s goal at 4:45 of the second overtime lifted the fourth-seeded Wildcats to a 2-1 win and a berth in the semifinals.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Local Sports