Press-Republican

Briefs

June 10, 2013

Home Briefs: June 10, 2013

Annual Secret Gardens Tour coming up

PLATTSBURGH — The 23rd-annual Secret Gardens Tour fundraiser put on by the Kent-Delord House Museum Garden Club will be from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, June 22.

The event is rain or shine, and refreshments will be served at one of the gardens.

Tickets are $10 in advance at Cook & Gardener, The Party Factory and Ultra Wave Salon. Tickets cost $12 on the day of the event. Maps for self-guided tours will be available at the Kent-Delord House Museum, 17 Cumberland Ave., Plattsburgh, from noon to 1:30 p.m. June 22.

For more information, call Linda at 572-8703.

+++++

Kent-Delord House joins garden trail

PLATTSBURGH — The garden at Kent-Delord House Museum has joined the War of 1812 International Peace Garden Trail, making it the only location north of Albany on the trail.

The Peace Garden Trail, according to their website: “Covers over 600 miles including USA and Canada, and blooms May-October. Modeled on the International Peace Garden concept that originated in Canada in 1990, a permanent trail of Peace Gardens have been established along the historic route where events of the War of 1812 determined the future of Canada, the United States and the fate of many First Nations and Native American people. The War of 1812 represents an armed conflict between the United States and Great Britain from 1812 to 1814. Causes of the war include trade tensions, impressments, British support for Indian raids and U.S. Territory Expansion.”

The Plattsburgh museum’s garden, inside the intricate picket fence at the front of the museum, is a formal, geometric style garden originally laid out in 1812 by Henry Delord’s friend, a U.S. Army engineer and mapmaker Lieutenant de Russey. Labeled on Delord’s map as “My Wife and Frances’ Flower Garden,” this plot was maintained for more than 100 years.

By the mid 1970s the defining pattern of the garden had all but disappeared. The Kent-Delord House Museum Garden Club, established in 1986, took on the recreation of this formal garden as one of its first tasks. After several years of research, a 1914 pamphlet photograph was discovered clearly showing the geometric design of this garden. The caption claimed that the “garden is still maintained in its original form.” Flower varieties used in this garden are taken from letters and lists in the Museum’s archives or are varieties appropriate to the 19th and early 20th century.

Text Only | Photo Reprints
Briefs