Councilors to discuss roadwork, possible bike paths
PLATTSBURGH — The City of Plattsburgh Common Council is expected to take action on several items at tonight’s meeting.
On the agenda are several contracts for road-construction projects coming up this year and a feasibility study for North Margaret Street for possible bike paths.
The meeting begins with a work session at 5 p.m., followed by the regular meeting at 5:30 p.m.
Both meetings are open to the public.
Economic Development Council meets in Plattsburgh
PLATTSBURGH — The North Country Regional Economic Development Council will meet 1 to 2 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14, at the Strand Theatre in Plattsburgh.
The council, which is responsible for screening development projects for funding recommendations, covers Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Hamilton, Jefferson, Lewis and St. Lawrence counties.
The meeting is open to all.
Busy border expected due to holiday weekend
CHAMPLAIN – U.S. Customs and Border Protection is advising travelers that the Champlain ports of entry will be busy this weekend due to the Presidents Day holiday.
The agency encourages travelers to be prepared and educate themselves on U.S. rules and regulations in order to cross more quickly.
It offers this advice:
• Prepare for the inspection before arriving at the inspection booth by having all documents ready, sunglasses off and windows rolled down.
• Visit the “Know Before You Go” section of the www.cbp.gov website.
• Allow for extra time and check border wait times on the website.
• Be aware of what food and plants are prohibited from entering the United States.
• Consider participating in the NEXUS program, which allows pre-screened, low-risk travelers to proceed with little or no delay into the United States and Canada.
Application forms are available on www.cbp.gov and on the Canada Border Services Agency website at www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca.