MORIAH — An accidental fire damaged a large barn on Center Road here Sunday night.
The barn, owned by Heather Provoncha at 2634 Center Road in Moriah, was only moderately damaged, Essex County Emergency Services Director Donald Jaquish said.
“The fire department saved the structure with only minor damage,” he said. “There was a fast response time.”
The fire was reported by a neighbor at about 8 p.m. Sunday.
Moriah, Port Henry, Mineville fire companies and Westport Air One were all called to the location to fight the fire.
Jaquish said a probe by the Essex County Fire Investigation Unit showed that hot wood ash from a stove had been spread outside the barn and had blown inside, causing the fire.
No livestock was kept in the barn, fire officials said.
— By Staff Writers Lohr McKinstry and Kim Smith Dedam and Contributing Writer Jennifer Meschinelli