AUSABLE CHASM — State Police say a woman whose body was found at the base of the Ausable Chasm bridge on Route 9 on Wednesday afternoon died by suicide.
Carol S. Rupprecht, 73, of Keene Valley died at about 3:30 Wednesday, said Lt. William Gorman of Ray Brook-based State Police.
Tim Bresett, general manager at the Ausable Chasm tourist attraction located there, called State Police after people who were walking over the bridge saw the woman’s body.
The bridge has been the scene of several past suicides.
HOW TO FIND HELP
People considering suicide are urged to get help. Here are some sources to call:
▶ For counseling:
- Clinton County Mental Health, 565-4060.
- Essex County Mental Health Clinic, 873-3670; after-hour emergencies, (888) 854-3773.
- In northern Franklin County, around the clock, 483-3261; southern Franklin County, 891-5535.
- Behavioral Health Services North: 563-8000.
▶ For emotional crises:
- The toll-free Clinton County suicide hot line number is (866) 577-3836. Out-of-county calls are accepted but other options are:
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, (800) 273-TALK (8255).
- The Essex County Mental Health Association Hope Line, (800) 440-8074.
- That last number is staffed 24-7, but the phone system handles limited calls. If there’s no answer, hang up and try again. Or call 911 or go to your closest emergency room.
- NAMI:CV offers a free Suicide Survivors Grief Support Group in Plattsburgh at 7 p.m. the second Wednesday of each month. Register with Mary Anne Cox ahead of time at 563-1141. She provides free individual grief counseling as well. Call the NAMI office to learn about many programs and services at 561-2685.