FORT COVINGTON — Crews responded to a small fire at a farmhouse here Saturday night.
According to John Bashaw, first assistant chief of the Fort Covington Volunteer Fire Department, report of a blaze at 12 Derouchie came in at about 9 p.m.
Upon arriving at the scene, crews observed flames in the basement of the two-story home, he said.
The fire was contained to one area of the space, Bashaw noted, and extinguished before it could cause any significant damage.
Mutual aid was provided by Bombay, Hogansburg/Akwesasne and Westville volunteer fire departments.
Bashaw believes the small blaze was accidental and sparked when embers from a wood stove fell onto some nearby wood on the floor and ignited it.
The home was occupied by a single family, he noted, and no one was injured in the incident.
— By Staff Writer Ashleigh Livingston