---- — SARANAC — A garage fire at 34 Ahern Road Friday may have been caused by the wood boiler near the structure, authorities said.
The detached garage is a total loss, but the home on the property was not damaged, Saranac Volunteer Fire Department Lt. James Terry said.
Homeowner Mike Ahern reported the fire at about 9 a.m., Terry told the Press-Republican recently.
It took the around 20 firefighters about an hour and a half to put out the blaze, with the Saranac Volunteer Fire Department back in service by about 1 p.m. Friday.
Ahern has insurance, Terry said.
A firefighter received a “minor scratch” that did not require any extensive medical attention, he said.
No one else was injured, Terry said.
Providing mutual aid were departments from Morrisonville, Dannemora, Cadyville, Lyon Mountain and Bloomingdale. Bloomingdale’s response was ultimately cancelled.
The Clinton Correctional Fire Brigade was on standby.
— By Staff Writer Felicia Krieg