---- — LEWIS — A motor home registered to a Vermont address caught fire in the Town of Lewis Tuesday.
The Lewis Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched at about 12:16 pm. The Elizabethtown Volunteer Fire Department assisted with a tanker.
The motor home, which had been heading northbound, was parked near mile marker 126 on Interstate 87.
The heat from the fire was so intense, it set off the pressure valves on propane tanks, worsening the fire, which had been minimal when firefighters arrived, Lewis Fire Department Chief Peter Evens said.
One Lewis firefighter was transported to the Elizabethtown Community Hospital for treatment of heat exhaustion, Evens said.
The fire started in the engine compartment, Evens said.
Lewis firefighters were back in the station at 1:32 p.m., he said.
The I-87 North Exit 32 off-ramp was closed from about 12:55 to 2:45 p.m., according to the New York State Department of Transportation.
No further information was available.
— By Staff Writer Felicia Krieg and Contributing Writers Javier Simon, Ben Rowe and Chris Fasolino