BLOOMINGDALE — A fire that destroyed a small camper Thursday started with a propane explosion, authorities said.
Thomas Hough suffered some burns to his face and was examined by EMTs but refused medical treatment, said Bloomingdale Volunteer Fire Department Second Assistant Chief Michael Cassavaugh.
The exact address of the fire was unknown Thursday.
Nine firefighters from the Bloomingdale Fire Department were dispatched at 1:16 p.m. and the fire was fully involved upon their arrival, Cassavaugh said.
Two fire trucks and about eight firefighters from the Saranac Volunteer Fire Department responded as mutual aid, the second assistant chief said.
Crews first used water to douse the blaze and then used foam, he said.
The camper was parked on the property of Monroe Gladd, a friend of Hough’s, Cassavaugh said, adding that Hough will be staying with family or friends.
On Thursday, he did not request that the Fire Department call the Red Cross for him, Cassavaugh said.
The Bloomingdale Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at 2:32 p.m.
— By Staff Writer Felicia Krieg