---- — KEESEVILLE — A furnace malfunction in a residence may have caused a fire in the heating device Monday evening.
The Keeseville Volunteer Fire Department responded to a trailer at 2371 Route 9 in Keeseville shortly after 5 p.m. after one of the residents reported the fire, according to Clinton County Fire Control.
Fire Chief Dave Perky said an elderly man and woman, who were renting the home, were both transported to CVPH for smoke inhalation. The man also had minor burns, Perky said.
The names of the two individuals and their health conditions were not available Monday.
The name of the person who owns the property was also unavailable.
Perky said he was unsure whether the two people had renter’s insurance.
When the Fire Department arrived, the home was smokey but the fire was already out, Perky said. The Fire Department ventilated the area and cut power to the furnace, he said.
The fire was confined to the furnace, Perky said.
The furnace was damaged but there was no other damage to the home, Perky said.
The Keeseville Volunteer Fire Department was back in service by 5:42 p.m.
— By Staff Writer Felicia Krieg and Contributing Writer Matthew Hamilton