Press-Republican

Police, Fire, Courts

December 14, 2013

Police Log: Dec. 14, 2013 — Fire

PERU — A garage attached to a home here sustained minor damage after a wood stove pipe malfunction ignited a fire, authorities said.

The Peru Volunteer Fire Department was called to 299 Route 22B Peru at 5:12 p.m., said Fire Chief Brian Westover.

“They had a stove pipe running through the walls of the garage and it ignited the wall of the garage on fire.”

The fire spread from the first floor of the garage into the attic, Westover said, but most of the blaze was out upon firefighters’ arrival.

A resident had used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire, he said.

“He saved his own garage,” Westover said said. “Usually we don’t really recommend when there’s that much fire.”

The chief said the fire department recommends use of fire extinguishers only for small kitchen fires.

No one was injured, he said.

The home is owned by Sonya Carpenter and Westover said he believed she has homeowner’s insurance.

South Plattsburgh Volunteer Fire Department joined Westover’s department at the home and CVPH Medical Center EMS also responded, Westover said.

The Peru Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at 6:07 p.m.

— By Staff Writers Felicia Krieg and Robin Caudell

1
Text Only | Photo Reprints
Police, Fire, Courts
Our Best Friends


Celebrate your friendships with your favorite pet

CVPH Job Opportunities