PLATTSBURGH — Fire destroyed a free-standing garage at 20 Lynn Drive in the Town of Plattsburgh Wednesday morning.
Lynn Avenue is off Wallace Hill Road.
The fire started when a young man was working on his go-cart in the garage, which measured about 12 feet by 20 feet, said District 3 Third Assistant Chief Steven Doyle, who served as the commanding officer for the fire.
The name of the young man and his parents, who are renting the home, were unavailable Wednesday.
Doyle said the man was allegedly holding a gas can too close to a spot light as he was working.
”The vapors of the gas can ignited,” Doyle said. “Those spot lights can get pretty hot.”
The man tried to throw the enflamed gas can out of a window in the garage but it missed the window and hit a wall, spreading the fire, Doyle said.
Doyle said that after the man reported the fire, he was taken to the hospital and “treated and released immediately with possible burns to his hands,” Doyle said.
District 3 Fire Department was dispatched to the fire site shortly after 11 a.m., Doyle said.
”It was a fully involved upon arrival.”
Less than a dozen firefighters were able to extinguish the fire within 10 minutes, Doyle said.
District 3 was back in service within two hours of the time of dispatch, he said.
Siding melted on both the property where the fire occurred and a neighbor’s home, but the damage was not extensive, Doyle said.
The home was no more than 10 feet away from the garage, the third assistant chief said.
The owners of the property are Vasso and Angela LaForest, according to the Clinton County Real Property Office.
The couple renting the home have renter’s insurance, Doyle said.
Providing mutual aid at the fire site were fire departments from Beekmantown and Morrisonville.