January 12, 2013

Heat lamp may have caused Bangor fire


---- — BANGOR — A faulty heat lamp appears to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a mobile home on County Route 16 early Thursday, officials say.

There were no injuries, but the blaze left the two adults and an infant who lived there in need of help from the American Red Cross for food and clothing.

The family, whose names were not available, were renting the property and did not have renters insurance, Bangor Volunteer Fire Department Chief Jerry Dumas said.

Dumas did not have the exact address of the property.

Once the family discovered the fire, they ran to a neighbor’s house at 347 County Route 16 and called 911, he said.

Their dog was not injured in the fire, Dumas said.

The Fire Department was dispatched just before 12:30 a.m., with assistance from departments from Brushton, Moira and Malone.

”All the units that responded responded very quickly,” considering the time of night, Dumas said. “It was pretty amazing.”

When the Fire Department arrived, the blaze was fully involved, he said, with flames coming out of the roof and the back side of the home.

The Franklin County Fire Police and the Franklin County Emergency Management responded to the site of the fire, and the Town of Bangor sanded and salted the roads, Dumas said.

The name of the owner of the mobile home was unavailable Friday. But Dumas said the owner has property insurance on the mobile home.

The Bangor Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at approximately 4 a.m.

Email Felicia Krieg: