By FELICIA KRIEG
---- — MALONE — A fire Saturday morning that caused minor damage to a two-story building in the Village of Malone was caused by an electrical wiring malfunction, fire officials say.
Jason Marlow smelled smoke in his 329 West Main St. apartment and went to the attic to investigate, said Fire Chief Brian Gokey.
’FIRE IN ATTIC’
“He saw the insulation was burning around the wiring.”
Marlow’s wife called 911; her name was not available Saturday.
The couple and their pets were able to get out of the building unscathed, Gokey said, and the Malone Callfiremen were dispatched to the wooden building just before 6 a.m., he said.
”We got on scene and there was some flames in the attic.”
Gokey called the Bangor Volunteer Fire Department to the fire site for help. Malone EMS, the Franklin County fire coordinator and three deputy fire coordinators also responded.
’POWER SHUT OFF’
Firefighters used a ladder truck to gain access to the second-floor apartment and cut a hole in the roof into the attic, Gokey said.
While it took firefighters only about 15 minutes and 100 gallons of water to extinguish the fire, an “extensive overhaul” followed, he said.
Firefighters shoveled insulation out of the home since fire tends to travel easily through that material, Gokey said.
”I think we did a pretty good job.”
Power was cut to the building and will be shut off until the wiring is inspected and the village’s code enforcement officer deems it safe to be turned on again, the chief said.
’BUILDING HOME TO CLUB’
The structure houses the Malone Golden Age Club on the first floor and Marlow rents an apartment on the second floor, Gokey said.
The club owns the building, he said, but the Callfiremen were unable to reach club members Saturday.
Estimated damage to the building is between $5,000 and $10,000, although those figures may be too high, Gokey said.
Marlow and his wife will be staying with relatives and Gokey said the Callfiremen were not asked to call for Red Cross assistance.
Marlow has renter’s insurance and Gokey said the club probably does too, although that could not be confirmed Saturday.
The Malone Callfiremen were back in service by 8:30 a.m.
Email Felicia Krieg:email@example.comTwitter: @FeliciaKrieg