CHAMPLAIN — An automatic alarm at about 8 a.m. brought firefighters to the home at 148 Labombard Road on Monday.
About 15 firefighters responded, finding no visible flames but smoke inside the house, according to Champlain Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Timmons.
Entering the home, they found an overheated fish-tank heater was catching the wall behind it on fire. They used a fire extinguisher on the area and smoke ejection vents to clear the house of smoke.
Assisting Champlain was Mooers Volunteer Fire Department, and Clinton County Fire Coordinator Michael Cahoon in Car 7.
The house suffered minimal damage, Timmons said.
Stacey A. Gooley and his family were away when the fire occurred.
— By Contributing WriterJavier Simon