PLATTSBURGH — Champlain Valley Business and Professional Women is looking for its 2014 Virginia Allan Young Careerist.
Women and men who meet the qualifications are invited to apply to participate in the competition, set for 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 25, at Olive Ridley’s on Court Street in Plattsburgh.
The Young Careerist Program is a signature Business and Professional Women program that recognizes and celebrates the accomplishments of young professionals.
The purpose is to provide an opportunity for encouragement, support and recognition of women and men in the early stages of their careers.
To qualify, applicants must:
• Be between 21 and 35 years of age.
• Have been employed in business or professions with at least one year of full-time work experience.
• Be living, working, training or continuing their education in New York state or Vermont.
• Support the goals, objectives and legislative platform of the Business and Professional Women Foundation.
Participants will present four-minute speeches, selecting from the following questions:
1. If you interviewed the governor of New York (or other high-ranking elected official who represents your interests), what information would you like to obtain as to current issues affecting the future of the state?
2. Many of our local governments value local control: What issues do you perceive as being of paramount importance to your community?
3. How do you think this generation — Generation Y — will contribute uniquely to the world? And how do you fit into or differ from the typical attributes of a professional Gen Y woman?
4. If you could choose one woman whom you value as a role model, who would that person be and what are/were the accomplishments and values that made you select her.
A certificate and one-year Business and Professional Women membership will be awarded to the new Virginia Allan Young Careerist, as well as the opportunity to proceed to the state-level competition in Vermont.
Find applications at www.champlainvalleybpw.org/resources.
They are due by Friday, March 14, and should be submitted via email to 2014 Young Careerist Chairperson Molly Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact her via email or by telephone at 562-7595.